International Driving License is valid in many countries. You may need it if you’re planning to visit some foreign country and there you rent a car or drive your own vehicle. It can also be served as your Identity card there as it contains your photograph.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to get International Driving License in India.
To get the International driving license in India, there are 2 ways.
Way 1 to get International Driving License in India
Visit your Regional Transport Office (RTO)
- Application form CMV 4-A which can be obtained at the RTO or downloaded online.
- IDP Fee of Rs. 500/- which is payable at the Cash Counter.
- Carry the originals and self-attested copies of – valid driving licence, passport, visa and air ticket.
- Medical Certificate in forms CMV 1 and CMV 1A needs to be submitted along with the application. These forms are available at the RTO or can be downloaded online.
- Three to five recent passport sized photographs.
- In some states, you may be asked to show two different address proofs with the same address on it, for example your voter ID and a phone bill.
- You may also be asked for a covering letter addressed to the RTO stating your need for an IDP.
Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for an International Driving Permit:-
- Valid driving license
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of Birth Certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Required Fees
- Two passport size photograph.
Way 2 to get International Driving License in India
Apply via Western India Automobile Association (WIAA)
WIAA is the sole issuing authority, apart from the RTOs, recognized by the FIA and the State Government for the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit.
Indian driving license holders intending to drive in a foreign country can apply for an IDP. An IDP is valid only for one year from the date of issue.
Do not apply, if Applicant does not hold a valid Indian Passport and driving license from the local issuing authority of the applicant’s location. (Currently, WIAA offers this service at Mumbai, Pune & Ahmedabad).
How to Apply
WIAA offices located at Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad are currently issuing IDP to WIAA members only.
Step 1: Become a member of WIAA. (Apply online for membership or visit WIAA office)
Step 2: Download IDP form, fill it and walk in to WIAA’s Mumbai, Pune or Ahmedabad office
Eligibility Criteria to get International Driving License in India
- Get your WIAA Membership card
- Download the form & check the list of countries that recognize the 1949 CONVENTION INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT. Apply if you are traveling to one of these countries only.
- Indian driving license, issued at Mumbai / Pune / Ahmedabad for the respective location of the application.
- Valid Indian Passport with Mumbai / Pune / Ahmedabad for the respective location of the application
- Carry 4 recent passport-size photographs (photo size: 3.5cm x 3.5cm)
- Submit above documents and Fee of Rs.800/= at WIAA Cash counter (Cash or Cheque, in Favor of “WIAA”
Payable at the application location. i.e. Mumbai/Pune/Ahmedabad).
- Post verification of your documents, you can collect your IDP as per the deadline provided while submitting the documents. (Generally, the IDP will be processed and issued within a day or two of the document submission.)
- Processing time is 2 working days from the date of application submitted to WIAA. Hence please submit your documents well in advance to before you plan to depart.
- WIAA reserves the right to reject applications in the event that applicants fail to produce or submit the necessary documents.
- Address on Passport and Driving License must be same as per the location of the application.
- IDP is valid for one year only, if you are already abroad at the time when your IDP is about to expire, then the IDP cannot be renewed until you travel back to your location of application. WIAA advises you to plan your IDP application accordingly.
- WIAA wishes you a happy journey and healthy stay during your travel.
- If you are traveling to North America, then you might need the AAA membership card for fabulous discounts while you are in North America. Contact us for more details. Click here to visit AAA website.
You may visit the official website of WIAA at http://www.wiaaindia.com/home
List Of Countries Recognising International Driving Permit
|Afghanistan||Curacao (Netherlands Antilles)||Ireland|
|Angola||Czech Republic||Jamaica (For PrivateVehicles)(2)|
|Argentina||Dominician Republic (for 6 Months)||Jersey|
|Armenia||Djibouti (See France Territory of the AfarsaandIssas)||Jordan|
|Bahrain (1,2)||Equatorial Guinea||Korea (Republic)|
|Belize||France & French Monaco||Latvia|
|Botswana (Former Bechuanaland)||Ghana||Liechtenstein*|
|Cape Verde Islands||Guinea – Bissau||Malyasia|
|Central African Republic||Guyana||Mali|
|Cote d’Ivorie||Iran||Myanmar (1)|
|Nicaragua* (for 30 days)||Thailand|
|Norway||Trinidad and Tobago (1,2) – For Pvt.Vehicls|
|Panama||United Arab Emirates (U.A.E) (1) (For Private Vehicles)|
|Papua and New Guinea||United States of America|
|Peru||Upper Vota **|
|Phillipines (for 90 days) (1)||U.S.S.R|
|Portugal (Incl.Madeira and the Azores) (1)||Venzuela|
|Romania (1)||Western Samoa|
|San Marino||Yemen (Arab Republic)|
|Saudi Arabia||Yemen Rep.(1)|
|Sao Tome and Principe||Yugoslavia|
|Senegal (for Private Vehicles) (2)||Zaire (Former Congo) (Kinshasa)|
|Sierra Leone||Zimbabwe (Rhodesia)|
|South West Africa (Namibia)|
|Sri Lanka (Ceylon)|
|Surinam (Former Dutch Guiana)|
* is not party to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, but recognizes 1949 International Driving Permits.
** the provisions of the 1949 Convention were extended to this territory prior to Independence, but the now state has yet to confirm officially that it accepts these provision. However it does recognises 1949 International Driving Permits.
*** is not party to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic but recognizes 1949 International Driving Permits. Certain formalities must be accomplished on arrival.
- Certain Conditions or time restrictions apply.
For Private Vehicle only.
1949 International Driving Permits are valid for one year from their date of issue. However, the state in which the visitor is driving may limit the period during which an International Driving Permit is recognized for each visit of that state. In any case, the length of the visitor’s stay is determined by the validity of his visa or authorized length of stay as a visitor.