Often, after a dense dinner or a snack, the food bought in the store starts to feel bad, the stomach hurts, it freezes, the body temperature rises, vomiting may start. These first symptoms may indicate food poisoning, which is acute and painful. Food poisoning in adults begins after eating spoiled food, food, which contains pathogenic bacteria or toxic substances. Poisoning can occur in mild form and do not require special medical manipulations to eliminate symptoms. It will be sufficient at home to take the necessary measures to bring the body back to normal after intoxication.
Types of food poisoning in adults and causes
Poisoning can occur under the influence of foodborne infections and be toxic in nature.
Poisoning by foodborne infections occurs with the help of stale, spoiled food that contains pathogenic bacteria. Or if non-compliance with mandatory hygiene standards – dirty hands, unwashed products.
The toxic nature of poisoning is possible when toxins enter the body with food: chemicals, fungi. Such poisoning carries a direct threat to human life, so if the first symptoms are very difficult, you need to call an ambulance.
The causes of poisoning can be:
- Unwashed products, or washed in dirty water;
- dirty hands or dishes that were used for cooking;
- use of toxic substances with food;
- products and dishes that have been stored longer than their time or at room temperature for more than two hours;
- the use of already infected products purchased in conditions of non-observance of sanitary norms;
- use of medications not for the intended purpose or with increasing dosage;
- poorly fried meat or fish can cause severe poisoning.
Symptomatic manifestation of food poisoning
Each person in his own carries the infection, so food poisoning in adults can have the following manifestations:
- vomiting (multiple or single);
- persistent nausea;
- malaise, general weakness;
- a non-natural complexion;
- increased body temperature;
- headaches, dizziness;
If the poisoning is due to fault of substandard or overdue products, the incubation period will be very fast and within 2-3 hours the first swallows of poor health will be felt by the person.
How to treat food poisoning in adults: step by step guide
Step # 1. – Rinse the stomach
As soon as an understanding is reached that food poisoning begins in adults, immediately wash the stomach of food residues. How to do it: drink a solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) or soda (1 tablespoon of soda per 1.5 liters of water). Gradually drink the solution and induce vomiting reflex, pressing the root of the tongue with your fingers. Repeat this procedure until the stomach is completely cleansed.
Step number 2. – Therapy with sorbents
With the help of sorbents from the body quickly released toxic substances, accumulated in the process of food poisoning. As sorbents can be: activated carbon, white coal, or other drugs (Enterosgel, smecta). Activated charcoal is taken one tablet per 10 kg of weight. It is best to use it in a soluble form. For this, dilute the tablets in water and drink.
Step # 3. – The use of liquid in large quantities
During food poisoning, diarrhea and constant vomiting dehydrate the body. To restore the natural balance of the liquid, you need a copious drink. This can be boiled water, salted water (1 teaspoon per 1 liter of water) or a little sweet tea. You can not drink juices so as not to irritate the stomach. To quickly restore the beneficial microflora in the intestine, the water-salt balance is very important.
Step # 4. – Active recovery
After applying the most necessary drugs to remove the first necessary symptoms, you can use other drugs to restore the work of the gastrointestinal tract. A few rules:
- only after vomiting and diarrhea can you go to strengthen the stomach);
- The temperature above 37.5 degrees should be lowered;
- Do not take pain medication to understand the full clinical picture;
- antibiotics are prescribed in case of severe poisoning if relief does not occur after 6-10 hours after the start of treatment.
Step # 5. – Diet and regimen
Food poisoning in adults can be cured quickly and efficiently, if you adhere to bed rest, in the first day you stop eating, and then follow a strict diet. On the second or third day you can drink jelly with breadcrumbs, you can also allow mashed potatoes or liquid oatmeal on the water. Ideally, with every hour, relief should come and the body begins to grow stronger. If the symptoms are still clearly expressed and it does not become easier, then it is necessary to go urgently to the hospital or call a doctor at home.
Food poisoning can occur at the most inopportune moment, so it is worth sticking to precautions:
- Before eating, wash your hands with soap and water;
- adhere to sanitary and hygienic standards in the kitchen;
- follow the technology of cooking;
- properly store products, monitor the expiration date;
- try not to buy products with a dubious appearance and in questionable places.