How to submit online RTI application?
Right to Information (RTI) is one of the strongest bill passed in Lok sabha few years back. This bill allows any Indian citizen to seek any relevant information related to himself or to mass public from Govt. of India and that too, in written.
One can ask for the status of passport, PAN card, Aadhaar card, pending Govt. files, duplicate mark sheets / degree – the possibilities and benefits are endless.
Previously, the only way to file RTI application was offline i.e. one has to write / print application in standard format, attach money-order from post office of desired amount and send it by post to the concerned department.
But now, with the passage of time, the Govt. of India has started online way to submit RTI application. In this article, we’ll see steps for the same.
Visit the official website at https://rtionline.gov.in/
You’ll get screen like this:
You can directly proceed to submit your RTI application by choosing “Submit Request” link on top navigation menu on the screen.
Once you click on “Submit Request” link at top of the screen, you’ll get screen like this:
Please read this screen carefully as it displays all the guidelines to handle the website and proper way to submit your RTI application online.
Click on the checkbox on the bottom of the screen and click on Submit button.
Now, you’ll get screen like this.
This is the main screen where you need to enter your online RTI application. The screen is self-explanatory. Just choose the ministry / department from where you want to seek information, enter all your contact details like your name, address, phone number etc., text of application etc. You can also upload any PDF file also, if required.
Finally, click on Submit button.
You’ll be redirected to payment page as shown below:
Here you can make payment via credit card, debit card or internet banking. Just choose your desired payment mode and click on Pay.
In just few minutes, you’ll get confirmation and your RTI application Registartion number via SMS/email. Generally, it takes 30 days to get answer. Depending upon the query, the answer will be given via postal way or online.
Checking status of online RTI
To get the status of your RTI application, click on “View status” link on the top of the screen and enter your Registration number, email id and security code and click on Show button as shown below.
Some important points to know for online RTI
- This Web Portal can be used by Indian citizens to file RTI application online and also to make payment for RTI application online. First appeal can also be filed online.
- An applicant who desires to obtain any information under the RTI Act can make a request through this Web Portal to the Ministries/Departments of Government of India.
- On clicking at “Submit Request”, the applicant has to fill the required details on the page that will appear.
- The fields marked * are mandatory while the others are optional.
- The text of the application may be written at the prescribed column.
- At present, the text of an application that can be uploaded at the prescribed column is confined to 3000 characters only.
- In case an application contains more than 3000 characters, it can be uploaded as an attachment, by using column
- “Supporting document”.
- After filling the first page, the applicant has to click on “Make Payment” to make payment of the prescribed fee.
- The applicant can pay the prescribed fee through the following modes:
- (a) Internet banking through SBI and its associated banks;
- (b) Using credit/debit card of Master/Visa.
- Fee for making an application is as prescribed in the RTI Rules, 2012.
- After making payment, an application can be submitted.
- No RTI fee is required to be paid by any citizen who is below poverty line as per RTI Rules, 2012. However, the applicant must attach a copy of the certificate issued by the appropriate government in this regard, alongwith the application.
- On submission of an application, a unique registration number would be issued, which may be referred by the applicant for any references in future.
- The application filed through this Web Portal would reach electronically to the “Nodal Officer” of concerned Ministry/Department, who would transmit the RTI application electronically to the concerned CPIO.
- In case additional fee is required representing the cost for providing information, the CPIO would intimate the applicant through this portal. This intimation can be seen by the applicant through Status Report or through his/her e-mail alert.
- For making an appeal to the first Appellate Authority, the applicant has to click at “Submit First Appeal” and fill up the page that will appear.
- The registration number of original application has to be used for reference.
- As per RTI Act, no fee has to be paid for first appeal.
- The applicant/the appellant should submit his/her mobile number to receive SMS alert.
- Status of the RTI application/first appeal filed online can be seen by the applicant/appellant by clicking at ? View Status?.
- All the requirements for filing an RTI application and first appeal as well as other provisions regarding time limit, exemptions etc., as provided in the RTI Act, 2005 will continue to apply.